Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

What's a good name for a 2nd blog post?

I probably shouldn't post this until it's completely finished but I'm doing it anyway. This is what I have so far on the first piece of my Senior Thesis.



Its missing most of the text and I haven't included the dust jacket flaps yet. I mostly worked on the image because thats all i had time for. The only time the printing lab would let me come in was Friday because they were filled for Monday so I had to do as much as I could Thursday night. (I know, excuses, excuses) But aside from the missing pieces I'm actually pretty happy with what I've got so far. I'm glad Ralph talked me out of using gold foil on the watch. I think it might have looked too gaudy. I'm still getting the hang of this style i've been working in so sometimes it's hard to judge what would look good or bad. I was so afraid that once I colored this in it would look terrible. I've tried to stop thinking like a painter though and that has helped quite a bit. It's funny how that works. As a painter i did my line drawings and then everything else could be shaded with paint to give it depth but working like this there is not gradation or shading so I have to focus more on shapes. Another thing I was kind of afraid of was that the cover wouldn't work by itself without the rest of the hair and the scissors. The whole image is a wrap around cover so it goes from front to back. But I tried to make sure everything I was doing on the right side could work well alone. I think it was successful. Of course I can never be too sure since I'll always be harder on myself than anyone else but at least I hope it's successful.



When I started this I planned on doing hand drawn text but I haven't put it on yet so please forgive the weird text I used.

Well anyway this is what I've got so far. Enjoy. and if anyone has any constructive criticism please share. I'll be hearing it from Ralph and others on Tuesday but I'd love to hear from anyone else who has something to say. And it would be nice to know that I'm not writing to an imaginary audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment